The Terry Law Firm has represented clients who have died or been injured as a result of negligent care by doctors, nurses and hospitals. It has been estimated that between 40,000 and 90,000 people die every year as a result of hospital errors. These errors come in many forms, from misdiagnosing a treatable but subsequently terminal illness to surgical errors such as cutting an artery. Scores more experience life altering injuries when medical providers are negligent.
Medical negligence cases are complex and difficult, and it takes an experienced attorney to offer advice on potential claims. We offer free consultations to potential clients who are considering filing a medical negligence claim. Please contact our offices if you or someone you know has been hurt while under the care of a medical professional.
What Is A Medical Negligence Claim?
The essence of a medical negligence claim is when a medical institution such as a hospital or medical professional such as a nurse or physician fails to meet the appropriate standard of care and as a result causes injury, illness, or death to the patient.
Generally, successful medical negligence claims have four elements:
1. The medical provider had a duty to provide the patient with care;
2. The standard of care that is accepted throughout the medical community was not met, or was breached;
3. The breach of the standard of care caused injury, illness or death;
4. There are actual, measurable injuries and/or damages to the patient.
What Are The Type Of Injuries Involved In Medical Negligence Claims?
Medical negligence is a broad term that represents a wide range of breaches of the standard of care. Here is a list of some areas of medical negligence.
- Surgical error causing permanent damage, such as infection, brain injury, paralysis or death
- Failure to diagnose cancer or other terminal illnesses
- Failure to diagnose heart attack, stroke or other time sensitive sicknesses
- Administrating the wrong medicationFailure to properly deliver a baby
What Can A Medical Negligence Attorney Do To Help?
The Terry Law Firm has the experience necessary to handle complex medical negligence claims. Nearly all successful medical negligence cases involve testimony from experts who are called on to render opinions as to whether the doctor, medical professional or hospital failed to meet the appropriate standards of care in their treatment of the patient. Other issues -- such as caps on monetary damages and time limitations for filing claims -- also complicate these types of cases.
Call us at (314) 878-9797 and let's chat about your case.
The call is free, confidential and you have no obligation to hire us.
Click the link above and get a copy of my book for free.